Sunday, September 13, 2015

June: Mendocino

Oliver at the Apple Farm in Philo.  I am so in love with this place.  Could live there if not for the mangy dogs.


Jason eating candy cap caramels.  Yes, that is a caramel made with mushrooms.  And it was delicious!

And now candy cap ice cream at Frankie's Pizza in Mendocino.  Can you sense a theme?

Lovely Mendocino
Back in June we went with our friends Liesl, Ian, Jon & Sariah to Mendocino for a weekend.  We went swimming at Lake Mendocino, which was so cool because you could drive your car out on the beach right next to the water.  And there was a hippie van parked near us, with people sunbathing on the roof.  Then we walked around and enjoyed the apple cider at the Apple Farm in Philo.  Then headed thru the redwoods into Little River where we stayed at the gorgeous Heritage House, complete with a family sized bath tub and shower, fireplace, and ocean views right off our private deck.  Holy crap I love this place!  Hands down the fanciest hotel I have ever stayed in.  Oh and did I mention the complimentary robes and slippers.  I felt quite posh, which is a rarity for me.  We did a yummy dinner at Frankies Pizzeria in Mendocino, and a walk along the cliffs covered in wildflowers.  I love it here.
The next day we walked around Russian Gulch State Park, the beach area and the blow hole.  It was chilly and beautiful.  Then we went to Fort Bragg to check out Glass Beach.  On our way back to the hotel we stopped in at a glass blowing shop, and met the stoned son of the owners, who was extremely  friendly, and opened the studio to show us around although it was closed and gave us free, beautiful hand-blown glass-works he had made.  Awesome.  Then we walked around the pygmy forest at Van Damme, hiked down to the oceanfront at our hotel, and watched the sunset while freezing our butts off.  The best part of the day though was watching Ian play with the selfie stick.
On our last day we walked to the top of the Point Arena lighthouse, the tallest lighthouse on the west coast that you can actually climb.  It was so dang windy though.  Then we walked around Fort Ross for a little bit, although it was closed, as it always seems to be for us.  We ended the trip in Petaluma, eating amazing Apricot Curry Wraps at Zazzle (sounds gross, but was one of the best things I have ever eaten), and Rhubarb pie at the Petaluma Pie Company. 
What an incredible trip!  I do apologize for the drawn out description, this is my version of journaling for myself!  More pictures to come once Liesl Weasel sends them to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Boys

I catch them hugging like this all the time!